SPIRIT AIRLINES AFA-CWA TENTATIVE AGREEMENT NOW AVAILABLE ON SPIRITAFA.ORG/TA
Dear Spirit AFA-CWA Union Sisters and Brothers, Today is a very proud day for your Union Negotiations Committee and your Master Executive Council (MEC) Leadership. We are pleased to direct you to the Spirit AFA-CWA website (spiritafa.org/TA) to download a complete text of the new Tentative Agreement which we negotiated on behalf of our 2,200 plus members. On the website, you will also find a Summary of Changes.
Your leadership group feels that this Tentative Agreement represents significant gains in both economics and work rules. This Agreement locks in protections and positions our group as we move into the future. The path to reach this Tentative Agreement wasn’t easy but it was important to fight for as many protections as we could. Upon successful ratification, each flight attendant will immediately see more money for you and your family.
Highlights of our Tentative Agreement include:
- An immediate hourly rate increase for ALL Flight Attendants and 88% - 38% raises over the life of the Agreement, and maintained our time and a half overtime pay plus day of with restoration (DORs).
- A Ratification Incentive ranging from $4000 to $8000 for all non-probationary active Flight Attendants as of May 1st, 2016.
- 100% Company match on Flight Attendant’s first 6% 401K contribution which doubles the current match.
- Incremental health care plan modifications and low premiums, while still maintaining one of the best health care plans in the airline industry. Moreover, a cap on healthcare premium increases throughout the life of this Agreement.
- No Preferential Bidding System (PBS) and no requirement to discuss PBS for the future.
- Increased deadhead pay to 100% for deadhead legs.
- Opened up real time electronic trading between flight attendants, as well as creating a transparent “bucket system” for Reserve Flight Attendants.
- Commuter Policy (new Section 25).
- The definition of Longevity is standardized as starting from initial training graduation not from “assignment to the line”
- Reserve Flight Attendants can now pick up from Open Time on GDOs.
- Primary Sick Bank cap raised from 150 hours to 220 hours. Combined cap of the Primary and Secondary Sick Bank is maintained at 400 hours.
- Voluntary monthly block ceiling raised from 100 to 110 scheduled block hours thereby giving the Flight Attendant the opportunity to improve his/her bidline.
While there are significant improvements, there are also changes that allow Management to operate more efficiently thereby maintaining the profitability and success of our airline. You will notice the following changes:
- Scheduled block increased from 8 to 9 hours.
- Flights operating between 0100 and 0500 can have a 3rd segment added ONLY if that third segment is a deadhead to domicile; the deadhead will be in a passenger seat; and the third segment must depart within 2:30 hours of arrival of the second segment.
- All Daily Open Time is switched to Eastern Time
- All Daily Open Time now posted at 1400 Eastern Time
- Bid Packets and all Scheduling materials will no longer be printed but will be transmitted electronically.
- The Time Recoverable (TAJ) window commences at 2000 Eastern time versus 2359 Local Time
- Fleece Jacket, Blazer, Regular Vest, Scarf and Tie are eliminated as part of the required Uniform; however, an additional one-time credit of $125 issued to each Flight Attendant whenever there is a Uniform change.
There are many changes to our current collective bargaining Agreement which are noted in the Full Text of the Tentative Agreement. The Full Text of the Tentative Agreement is posted on line at spiritafa.org/TA. We encourage you to review the actual Tentative Agreement language as well as the Summary of Changes. These documents plus real examples of health care changes and increased wage rates and how they affect you are posted on spiritafa.org/TA.
We will schedule the Tentative Agreement Roadshows to begin the first week of April. These Roadshows will allow for face-to-face interaction. This will be your opportunity to receive clear communication and to ask the Negotiations Committee members any questions. We will have the complete Roadshow Schedule posted on spiritafa.org/TA website shortly. We anticipate the ratification vote will close on May 5th, 2016 at Noon Eastern Time.
Please know that your Master Executive Council Leadership is confident that this Tentative Agreement is in the best interest of the Flight Attendant group and represents our worth and our value to Spirit Airlines. It reflects significant improvements over past Agreements and positions us for the future. Without hesitation or reservation, we unanimously voted to put this package out for ratification and your careful consideration.
Ultimately, the decision that you must make will be a personal one. It will be about what is in your best interest as well as the best interest of your family. Only you can determine the best path forward for you. Ask questions and get the accurate information you need to cast an informed vote. If you have any questions, please direct them to your Local Council Presidents, Negotiating Committee or go to spiritafa.org/TA. We have set up a blog chat that is completely dedicated to answering your questions and addressing you concerns. We ask that you go directly to the Blog to post your questions. We will also post common questions and answers on the website as When the votes are tallied, we will move forward together based on the decision made by the majority of those who cast a vote. As always, our solidarity leads us to our future success. Let’s get ready to vote and remember, YOUR VOICE, YOUR VOTE – OUR FUTURE!
Jorge Buchelli, Negotiations Committee Chair
Kathryn Ayala, Negotiations Committee Chair
LEC President -Local 77 (ORD)
COMPENSATION WAGE RATES
(Remember, you will receive two wage increases a year.)